Re: Re: Secret to good time??

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Matt G on February 28, 2003 at 14:20:53:

In Reply to: Re: Secret to good time?? posted by TubaRay on February 28, 2003 at 13:01:16:

Good points!

I would also add the feeling the division of the time (16th's, 8th's, 32nd's) always is the best method to developing concrete time. That is why I always have my students play a simple scale in repeated notes like 8th's or 16th's, usually for 2-4 counts, with the metronome beating quarters. Then I turn it (Doctor Beat) on to do the division along with them. This shows them how to be consistent with each note. Consistent feel for division and duration within various tempos helps to solidify time.
Also, noted is that playing in various ensembles of different types (Wind Ensemble, Orchestra, Marching Band, Brass Quintet, TubaEuph, Brass Choir, Jazz Band, Rock Band, Salsa Band, et al) helps to generate a "feel" for how these different groups tend to get into a "groove".

I really like the suggestion for using a metronome whil doing score study. It would really help to keep the individual honest by making them stay with the ticker. Instead of trying to analyze every chord every time they look it over, and also to not use a recording as a crutch as a recording might not always be readily available.

Matt G

Follow Ups: