Re: Secret to good time??

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jim Ogden on February 28, 2003 at 15:09:46:

In Reply to: Secret to good time?? posted by Hiram Diaz on February 28, 2003 at 12:24:55:

Today there's a whole pot full of electronic gadgets to keep a steady tempo.
Music Minus One recordings. Of course, a metronome is the most obvious. An electronic one, with an earphone plug works best for me since you don't over-blow the acoustic metronome. Rhythm machines; the Yamaha Silent Brass mute system with a recording will keep you in line too.. It's great! Keyboard/synthesizers with all the built in drum/left hand bass equipment too. I work club casuals quite a bit where the keyboardist does the whole rhythm drum/bass scene. Unfortunately, the economics force this often...and you are the "token" instrumentalist to make the "big band sounds"... "In the Mood", trumpet & floppy disc YUK! That'll keep you in time! I'm not bashful...I'll tap my foot at times in a rehearsal! Tapping is rude to your neighbor, if audible! (on risers!) especially in a concert. I have occasionlly watched the feet of collegues I respect to check tempo. (Our oboeist in the Woodwind quintet(fr,horn) would remove her shoes(for comfort) and her big toe was right on...HA Strolling on tuba,(trio) I lightly tap the after beats with my ring, on the bell-bow flange. Listen! Listen! The most important time control! Jim

Follow Ups: