Re: A new CC/BBb question

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Lee Stofer on March 01, 2003 at 10:06:22:

In Reply to: A new CC/BBb question posted by LV on February 28, 2003 at 16:42:14:

I did this in 1996, and for two reasons. I bought a Conn 25J (4-valve, upright bell) tuba, having never played one before. After repairing the leadpipe and thoroughly cleaning and servicing this beast, I was just amazed at how well, how easily this instrument played. At the same time, some real financial difficulties came along, and I decided that I could play anything I needed to as well on the 25J as my expensive European 5/4 CC. So, I decided to give up my 5/4 CC and sold it.
My primary work was military concert band, so the 25J BBb was just perfect for the job. And, I found as I tried it out in other types of ensembles, there was hardly anything it couldn't do well. I had been playing it scarcely two months with the Dominion Brass Band of the Tidewater area in Virginia when we went to the NABBA Championships in Columbus, Ohio and won our division. I started realizing that, although there is not much advertising hoopla about them, there are and always have been outstanding BBb tubas. And, as I have matured and become a better player, I have come to appreciate them more. I doubt that anyone that attended my last brass quintet performance, including the other players, knew (or cared) whether the Alex I was playing was CC or BBb - all I know is that everyone liked it.

Lee Stofer

Follow Ups: