Re: Conn Grand Orchestral

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Lee Stofer on March 01, 2003 at 10:45:18:

In Reply to: Conn Grand Orchestral posted by Harv on February 28, 2003 at 16:01:43:

Conn referred to their 20K sousaphone and its predecessor as the "BBb sousaphone grand", but I don't think they ever used the word "orchestral" in reference to one of their sousaphones.
The Conn "Grand Orchestral Bass" in BBb was an instrument basically the size of a 2XJ, and the earlier models seemed to have typically had a one-piece upright 21" bell. The catalog drawing of one in Dr. Stauffer's book, and the photo of Dr. Stauffer holding his in about 1940 both show an instrument with 4 front pistons that are in a rather "in-line" configuration, much like the pistons on the large Holton. The detachable-bell models that were introduced a little later were called recording basses, regardless of whether the bell was upright or front-facing. They were also offered with either front-pistons (American-model) or top-pistons(Wonder Model).
I have recently acquired a large Conn tuba though, that is unlike any other I've seen. Have any of you out there seen a large Conn Grand Orchestral-type tuba with the 4 front pistons at more of an angle, much like the angle of a sousaphone valve section? I was told that this instrument was built in 1911, and it has a valve configuration somewhat like a more-recent Conn 3J. It has two main tuning slides - one before, and one after the valves. I'd appreciate any info that anyone might have about this particular model.
Lee Stofer

Follow Ups: