My LUCKY day!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tony E on February 05, 2004 at 02:00:53:

You know, every now and then, everyone gets to have a lucky day. Sometimes,they seem so far apart it's hard to believe they actually happen. But today, the fates were smiling.

I posted a number of months ago that I was searching for a York Eb tuba. Since then, I've played a number of vintage Ebs, including a 4 valve York, but nothing has really lit my wick.

Wouldn't you know that it would be my tried and true friend Dan Oberloh who called me up today and pronounced that it was time for me to "wet my knickers". Dan informed me that he had just obtained a 1904 York 4 upright valve 19" Eb from a private party who has owned it for decades. It's had a well cared for life. He said he'd clean it up and meet me at Starbucks tonight to drop it off for a trial. Then he gave a hint: "it's amazing...it won't take you long to decide".

Well, Dan the Man knows his tubas...cause when I got it home it took me one trip up and down the scale to call him back and tell him I'd take it. AWESOME!!! I've personally never played a bass tuba that is as free blowing throughout the entire range. I put the tuner on it and confirmed what my ears were telling me...very good intonation (nothing's perfect..but WAY better than any vintage Eb I've played before). But ultimately, it was that beautiful, sweet, classic York sound. I'm telling you, a grade school kid could sound great on this thing.

And, as if that weren't enough...Dan was sure to point out the near mint condition original York mouthpiece!

So...that's it. I'm off on a new adventure, and can't help but wonder how long before I have another lucky day.

B.T.W. If anyone is also in the market, I should mention that one of the most interesting e-mails I received was from Lee Stoffer who has a 4 valve upright York Eb that he is planning to completely restore, including a new case with a York logo. I likely would have called him for it if my search had continued much longer.

Follow Ups: