Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: serious question

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on February 05, 2004 at 12:02:28:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: serious question posted by joe exley on February 05, 2004 at 01:41:27:

The TUBA radar used to aim in more directions. I remember the ITEC conference in Austin, Texas in 1986 that featured a whole evening with Melvin Poore, and on another evening a performance by the Texas Tuba Quartet of a work by Jay Rozen. It's funny, but all these years later those are the only two performances at the conference that I specifically remember.

Melvin Poore received so much applause that he was forced to play an encore. He said something to the effect that because he never expected to be asked for an encore, he didn't prepare one. Considering much of his recital had been improvised, we all laughed. Then he just sat down and made something up.

I haven't been to an ITEC since then because they are always in a place and time that makes it impossible, so I don't know if they still have recitals like that.

There was some pretty out-there stuff at the Army conference. Three works were performed with the non-tuba-playing composers present, and a healthy percentage of the program included original compositions from the last 20 years. This isn't including the jazz stuff. But there was nothing like Melvin Poore.

Rick "who pays modern music the respect of not always liking it" Denney

Follow Ups: