Re: Re: Overblowing a Bass Tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on February 06, 2004 at 15:46:00:

In Reply to: Re: Overblowing a Bass Tuba posted by on February 06, 2004 at 12:34:10:

A former teacher once told me that his sound was perhaps not as beautiful as it could be up close, but that he focused on what made a good sound on the back row of the concert hall. I've heard this also from many other wind musicians, not just tuba or even brass players. They say that what makes a sound beautiful up close often makes it not carry to the back row.

I don't mind edge. What I don't like is when my sound spreads and loses its core. This is often interpreted as edge, because there's edge to it. But it is entirely my weakness and not the instrument's. The more I improve my tone, the less afraid I am of a little edge in my sound when I'm playing at the loudest dynamics. Usually that spread sound results from trying to push so much air through the horn that my embouchure breaks down, rather than letting that huge amount of air feed into the horn at the rate it can accept it.

Rick "who thinks there should a difference in sound as we increase dynamic--but it must be musically useful" Denney

Follow Ups: