Re: serious career question

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Haitian Fight Song on February 09, 2004 at 01:39:41:

In Reply to: serious career question posted by Tracy Bedgood on February 08, 2004 at 15:58:10:

I see alot of really good comments here. But having a PhD does not necessarily make you a great player. If you look at history and players like Red Callender, Charles Mingus, John Coltrane, and many others they did not even so much have an A.A. or a B.A. These guys went to the school of Duke Ellington, Fletcher Henderson, Count Basie, and studied classical as well. I believe many people have gotten conditioned in this country and others that if you have a degree in music, it makes you a player, or a better person. In my personal experience, it seems that too many people are pre-occupied with getting a degree for social status rather than for an education. Colleges and universities have their place, but it is not a guarantee for success. Considering the way that corporate America rolls its employees over every ten years or so, that is no guarantee either. For what it is worth, my belief is that find the very best teachers you can afford, practice, play as much as you can, form a group, record, do what you have to do. But having a degree will get you a job, but it may not be the job you want, or in your field at all. I have gotten much more out of independent study than I ever did in college. Jumping through hoops to get where you want to be, is nothing more than an expensive and long delay. For the same money, you can start your own enterprise of some type. Everyone is different, and what works for me, may not work for you. Read about the famous players in the many genres, some like the above players went directly to it. It is a shame that musicians do not seem to get the support like pro athletes do in the U.S. and other places, it is sad. There is no easy road. Be patient. You will find what is best for you.

P.S. I left out Bird & Diz by mistake!!!

Follow Ups: