Re: I have a confession. I HATE TO TEACH

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dennis on February 09, 2004 at 07:07:27:

In Reply to: I have a confession. I HATE TO TEACH posted by Sean Chisham on February 09, 2004 at 00:28:08:

Well, since you ask, I do it because someone taught me. Somewhere along the way, in high school, I suspect, someone in my family put the idea in my head that I had been given, and was being given, wonderful instruction, and that I needed to make sure that I didn't keep it to myself, that my job would be to give that on to others. I never once blanched at the idea of teaching others--sounded good to me, so I set my sights on being a great h.s. band director. Then, in college, another teacher said--"if you like to perform, and have desire to teach, look into college teaching. I did, and pretty much have been teaching for $$ since about 1983. Not a year has gone by that I haven't taught professionally, since then. It took a while before I became comfortable (see Ken Sloan's post below) I went through teaching sectionals for marching bands, teaching a lot of drill, teaching a few students along and along, to being a college marching band director at age 23, and then, finally (or so it seemed)was fortunate enough to win the job here at UNCG. Am I a perfect teacher? No. Do I learn something new on how to teach on at least a weekly basis? Yes. Have I had successes with students? Yes. Failures? yes. Plainly and simply, I look back on what was given to me from others and pass it on to others. Maybe not everyone's motivation, but it works for me.

dwa

Follow Ups: