Re: Re: Re: Re: 20J or 1240

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on February 09, 2004 at 09:53:51:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: 20J or 1240 posted by Frank on February 09, 2004 at 00:09:37:

Blowhard? Guilty as charged. But I can play the Holton noticeably softer than even my Miraphone with a good tone. The 20J was nowhere close. There are probably better 20J's out there than the one I'm using as an example. One summer conductor described it as a "blunderbuss", and I stopped bringing it to our summer band program because of that.

And if you have one with good intonation, dip it in gold and take good care of it. The third partial on mine was 40 cents flat, which is just like every other 2xJ I've played. I had to play F at the bottom of the staff 1-3. If I was playing jazz, I wouldn't worry about it--you can work around stuff like that. And the sound and warmth of the 20J is very nice to have on a dixieland bass (if you can hold the monster up). But for concert band or any application where I had to play the notes on the page accurately, the 20J was hard work to line up with the section. As I said, it just filled too small a role compared to my other tubas. I'd hoped to use it for outdoor concerts, but it just would not suit the purpose.

Rick "whose Miraphone's intonation is spot on, except for the usual easily corrected flat fifth partial" Denney

Follow Ups: