Re: I have a confession. I HATE TO TEACH

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mary Ann on February 09, 2004 at 10:16:07:

In Reply to: I have a confession. I HATE TO TEACH posted by Sean Chisham on February 09, 2004 at 00:28:08:

Well, first, if you don't like it...don't do it!! And don't let anybody guilt you into it either.

I made part of my living for about five years with a "private teaching practice." That is...I had people come to my home. About 3/4 were kids, 1/4 adults. Because I needed to make decent money at it (the other half was free lancing on violin) I taught every instrument I could begin to play, and just made sure I stayed ahead of the students. I taught piano, guitar, violin, mandolin, even organ for a brief space. The majority of the students were on piano and guitar.

I remember a total of two students who had outstanding talent; and a few more who probably got somewhere if they stayed with it.

My problem was intense boredom. Parts of it were very rewarding, especially those times when I did see the lights go on when someone got something. But: You know how some people just can't survive without intense physical exercise? I'm that way but with mental exercise. I can't sit still through lesson after lesson where I am basically repeating the same thing every half hour; it didn't matter that I cared about the people I was teaching. I was bored stiff. Going back to school for my BSEE was the correct decision for me, hands down. I need to wrestle with mental problems on a regular basis or I go stir crazy.

So...do what is best for you. For many people teaching is it, but for some it is not. When I retire in a few years I expect I'll go back to teaching, because I still get inquiries from people even though I've never taught in this city. When they hear you play, they want you to teach them how you do it. But I'll keep it at a minium and only those students whom I really want to teach.

On the other end of the stick...I just found a horn teacher I love. He's willing to actually teach me something instead of just giving me some piece in a book to go home and learn. Willing to sit with me while I fart around trying to get right what he's showing me how to do. Motivated teachers are just as hard to find as motivated students.

MA

Follow Ups: