Re: Re: I have a confession. I HATE TO TEACH

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by TubaRay on February 09, 2004 at 16:45:11:

In Reply to: Re: I have a confession. I HATE TO TEACH posted by Mr. Nobody on February 09, 2004 at 16:04:42:

No shields will be necessary to deflect my comments. In general, you are correct in your assessments. I would like to add that I welcome having my students question what I tell them, PROVIDED they put it to the test. I my advice doesn't stand up to the test, it may not have been valid in the first place. I preface most of my comments by stating things like, "this worked for me," "I have been told(or taught) this," etc. If the student is serious, and is willing to try the advice, and is willing to give it a chance, that is fair enough for me. I believe they will receive solid advice. When they question it, it will usually serve to reinforce the validity of the advice.

As for the advantage of having a big name, I certainly believe that helps in recruiting students. It doesn't really guarantee that one knows how to teach or communicate well, although this is often true. It probably does help with having the position to select from students and pick the more worthy ones.

I guess I'd better be putting my shields up, now.

Ray Grim
The TubaMeisters
San Antonio, Texas

Follow Ups: