Re: Meinl Weston 2141 EEb Tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Lew on February 09, 2004 at 18:54:32:

In Reply to: Meinl Weston 2141 EEb Tuba posted by Chase Conley on February 09, 2004 at 16:48:50:

I tried one at the USABTEC and liked it, but I ended up buying a Besson 983 because I prefered its sound, but that is a matter of personal taste. I also was looking for an instrument with a very different sound from my primary, BBb tuba. There have been many posts about the 2141 that you can read in the archives. Older ones apparently had some intonation issues that have apparently improved with the newer versions. Meinl Weston tubas are generally considered to be of high quality, although the 2141 hasn't been as popular as other of their models.

I am now dealing with going back and forth between a BBb and Eb. I brought the Besson to one of my community band rehearsals this week and it was interesting. I had no problem with anything until I hit some 16th note runs, when my brain tried to revert to BBb fingerings. I have been working the Pares scale book on the Eb and know that with some practice the Eb fingerings will seem just as natural as the BBb ones do to me today. The only ones that still trip me up are the E natural and F just below the staff.

Many people switch back and forth between different keyed tubas with great facility, so it obviously can be done. It is more difficult for an amateur who may not have as much practice time, but I don't find it too hard even though I am continuing to use both horns. If you switch completely to Eb it should be that much easier.

Follow Ups: