Re: I have a confession. I HATE TO TEACH

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tabor on February 10, 2004 at 11:43:26:

In Reply to: I have a confession. I HATE TO TEACH posted by Sean Chisham on February 09, 2004 at 00:28:08:

I think teaching, like music, takes practice over time. Some days, I leave work feeling great, and other days I am perplexed. To me, teaching is interesting, because people have such different learning styles. These different ways of learning challenge me to think "around" what I am trying to say, so I can approach it in different directions. It can be frusterating to teach a student, when they don't progress quickly, but that usually has the effect of fueling my desire to find different ways to explain the concepts, or to attain the desired product.

While I enjoy performing (and practicing) very much, I find motivation for teaching in the progress my students make. You mentioned that you didn't feel your students weren't involved. It is very hard to stay motivated if you feel your students aren't doing their work and/or working to their potential. I can't say that I enjoy teaching as much as I enjoy playing, but I do enjoy being able to help others reach their musical goals. This being said, the students must have goals, and if they aren't sure of the goals they should have, I give them goals.

Finally, like anything else, teaching isn't for everyone. People rationalize, whine, complain, cry, etc...and to teach is to deal primarily with people and secondarily with subject matter. So much of teaching music has nothing to do with music. I don't think there is anything so intrinsically wrong in not wanting to deal with that, when your primary interest is music. (but get some bright, wel- motivated students and you might also begin to enjoy teaching)

-Tabor

Follow Ups: