Re: Re: Re: Re: I have a confession. I HATE TO TEACH

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Frank Gazda on February 10, 2004 at 16:41:28:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: I have a confession. I HATE TO TEACH posted by Doug Whitten on February 09, 2004 at 21:59:18:

When encountered with music ed majors who don't see the point in practicing, I ask them "Where do you plan to develop the skills to become a good band director? It all starts with being a good musician. Where do you learn how to play in tune, or in time? Where do you learn how to produce a good sound? Where do you learn how to express yourself though an instrument? And most importantly, how do you teach your students how to solve tecnical and muasical problems if you've never done it yourself?" If you are unwilling to put in the time to become good musician, if you somehow manage to get out with your degree you will be a mediocre (at best) educator.

This works on some of them. Others leave the program. My retention rate is not great, but I'm proud of the fact that I've had quite a few students change their major but continue to take lessons and play in bands. I have NEVER, EVER told a student to quit. I don't think that I have that right. What I do tell them is that based on their current level of ability and work ethic I don't forsee them suceeding, unless something changes.

What I hope that I accomplish with my students is that I make it clear the enthusiasm, love, and commitment that you must have. Some choose to leave if they don't match that. You will have to ask my students if reality is my perception;-)

Frank Gazda

Follow Ups: