Re: Re: Re: Tubas, not music

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jack Bauer on February 11, 2004 at 16:25:02:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Tubas, not music posted by TubaRay on February 11, 2004 at 15:47:36:

TubaRay, and Joe Baker -- thank you! Joe, your response is much appreciated. And TubaRay, I'm trying to to be critical, but I can see how it would come across that way. Thanks for your honest, and considerate, responses.

As for me? I can't get enough of the Rochut studies. I usually play them down an octave but occasionally for fun I'll play them at pitch and it's a great way to learn how to play a line that's not too hard but forces you to make it musical. I've also just discovered Robert Muczynski's "Impromptus Op. 32" which is a neat little unaccompanied piece. Lyrical second movement offsets the sometimes-bombastic 1st and 3rd, and the 4th and 5th are multi-metre rythmic challenges.

Has anyone played the Second Symphony of Howard Hanson? There are no particularly difficult licks but it's heavily "neo-romantic" -- lots of dynamics and tempo fluctuation. Anyone have experience with this piece and if so, what do you think of it? It's a little different from a lot of mid-20th century American symphonic music in its brooding grandeur. I'm playing it now with an orchestra and I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on it.

Follow Ups: