Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Piston Valve Spring Tension

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by They shouldn't on February 12, 2004 at 05:21:17:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Piston Valve Spring Tension posted by violinist on February 11, 2004 at 22:57:59:

Obviously I agree that for everyday general playing you should have springs which offer the optimum (for you) balance between stiffness and playability.

All I'm saying is that folks MAY see an improvement in their RH stamina if they excersised (worked-out) that hand and fingers. The only folks I know of for sure that do this sort of thing is drummers who frequently spend time working on their finger, wrist and general arm strength. I'd bet other instrumentalists (pianists nearly for sure) do work-out the parts of their body used in playing OFF and on the instrument.

As we play instruments with relatively heavy valves we desire equally good strength across the 4 fingers of our RH (and possibly the thumb too). There can't be a more specific way of training the finger muscles than in pushing stiff valves for a time each day?? This only works if you have horns to spare and is just ONE way of building strength in the hand. The strength is the point here, not how to achieve it.

Do I make any sense at all? : )

Follow Ups: