Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Low register dynamics

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Musings... on February 13, 2004 at 11:38:12:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Low register dynamics posted by Air VOLUME on February 12, 2004 at 20:09:42:

I think this sort of debate is very interesting but it also highlights some of the problems we face as brass players; we cant see what goes on in the most important parts of our playing.

I've no doubt that most contributors to this thread are accomplished players and PROBABLY do much the same things to achieve low register volume. The difference is in how we talk about it and what we think is going on compared to what actually goes on.

I won't claim to be an expert so all of this is just my opinion....

The whole notion of Air speed Vs. Air Quantity is down to where you measure the velocity IMO.

Here's what I think I know:
1). Air speed has everything to do with pitch. Fast air = fast vibrations = high note.
2). Volume of air has everything to do with loudness of note.
3). The above relate to your air/buzz BEFORE it leaves the mouthpiece.

Does a quiet high note use fast air? You bet. So fast air doesn't equal loud volume there.
Does same note require large volume of air? No Sir.

Try doing this:

Buzz a your mouthpiece alone at given pitch - use a tuner if you like. Begin at PP and then crescendo to FF keeping the pitch constant. What happens to your lip aperture, tongue position and hopefully your jaw? That's right, they widen; it should be perceptable looking in a mirror or just with a hand around your jaw.

Now try this:

Buzz that same given pitch and repeat the excersise EXCEPT you're going to make no adjustment with the lip, tongue & jaw (as best you can - you'll probably want to make adjustments for pitch's sake!). As you crescendo (push greater volume of air) keeping all else equal, what happens to the pitch? It rises.

How about free buzzing 'at' your hand 6" away at a given pitch. If you move from PP through FF without adjusting the aperture, you'll notice the air speed increase. Do the same and this time keep the pitch constant by widening the aperture. More air hits your hand but is it moving faster? Not when I do it...

So when you play louder you may think you're using faster air, but I don't think the speed alters through the embouchure - only the air volume.

At the exit-point of the mouthpiece, as the air volume increases so does the air speed. So the air does move faster here but not at the embouchure.

Like AJ said, focus on products, not how to get there! : )

Follow Ups: