Re: Re: Re: Re: Sousaphone muting!?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Leland on February 14, 2004 at 20:05:17:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Sousaphone muting!? posted by Adam on February 08, 2004 at 22:48:00:

Wow, been a while since I've read this post...

1. Whose fault is it that a composer wouldn't know what a muted tuba sounds like? Half of it is theirs, true, but it's been too often that I've only seen a muted tuba -- and NOT heard it. I have to honk pretty well to get past my mute, and I hope it's not just because I'm unafraid of making sure the audience hears what I'm playing. Whenever I see another tubist insert a mute, especially in full ensemble, I strain to hear whether it changes the sound at all, and frankly, I'm convinced that they usually "wuss out" and don't even bother trying to project.

No players seem to WANT to know what a tuba mute sounds like because they don't want to sound different from the standard tuba. Then, if the players don't make it happen, then who's going to find out? Nobody.

Personally, I don't assume that the composer is an ignoramus until it's proven. Until then, I'll do my best to do what's specified on the page. If that includes a mute, then by golly, I'm bringing my mute, and the person who sneaked in to sit by the exit door in the back is going to hear it.

2. Why waste money on sousaphone mutes? Well, yeah, that's tough to justify. The alternative would be either a whole new section of concert horns with a mute or two. Or, get one (or maybe two) sousaphone mutes and be done with it for the next few years.

3. It's too bad that we assume lower standards for high school players than they're capable of. How do we know that this particular band isn't pretty good already (even if they have no upright tubas)?

Follow Ups: