Re: Re: ?s on low budget tubas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Lew on February 15, 2004 at 08:34:24:

In Reply to: Re: ?s on low budget tubas posted by Ken on February 15, 2004 at 02:27:47:

I can understand your concern about buying someone elses problem, but in the case of a used tuba I don't think it's a good analogy. Tubas are more than some brass soldered together. The design and care with which they were made can have a huge impact on how well they play. You can read a lot of discussions on this board about the playing characteristics of this horn or that. How something plays does depend on the player, but the horn can make it easier to play well or harder. An older "brand name" horn, as long as it's in playing condition, will be a much better player than a new unknown brand. Older horns may have leaky valves, dents, and possibly leaks at some of the joints. All of these can be fixed, but once fixed you are likely to have a much better player than a new JinBao.

A 4th valve is very useful for low range playing. It is used to bring the 1+3 combination into tune, and to help extend the low range below the low F. For most band music it helps with 4 notes, low C, B, F, and E, although the E is rarely encountered. A 4th valve can add $1000 or more to the price of a horn. I find it worth it, but depending on how tight your budget is you're better off having a 3 valve horn that you can afford than no horn at all.

I suggest contacting some of the dealers listed on this site and asking about used horns. Dillon Music and Baltimore Brass usually have a good selection of used BBb tubas. They will give you honest information about the condition and playability of any horn. You should be able to find a decent 3 valve in good condition for between $1000 - $1500. If after playing for a whlie you decide you really want a 4th valve you could probably get close to what you paid out of the old horn as long as it's in the same condition as when you got it.

Follow Ups: