Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Low register dynamics

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by you say... on February 15, 2004 at 10:44:47:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Low register dynamics posted by Rick Denney on February 13, 2004 at 14:18:12:

"I also remember from that study (as quoted by either Jacobs or Fredericksen in Song and Wind) that the flow required to produce a fff low F was something like 140 liters/minute. With a vital capacity of perhaps 4 liters, I'd run out of air in 1.7 seconds."

That's MY point exactly. Anyway you look at it, moving 140 liters of air through ANY size aperture your mouth can make requires moving that air VERY FAST. Thus if, you play a low note (and STAY on the same note) and speed up the air, the note will get louder. To move aside the very large mountain that has been made out of a molehill here, the original poster asked how to play low notes louder. The simple answer is to blow faster. This, of course assumes that the poster knows that he has to maintain the pitch of the low note, and not play higher and higher notes as the air speeds up. Think of playing a note, and mentally equating the speeding up of the air as turning up the volume on a stereo...the sound stays the same, but gets louder. The air can also be equated to stepping on the gas pedal. 5 mph air=ppp, 80 mph air= fff. When one begins this process, the sound will naturally not be as good on the louder notes, but as AJ was fond of saying, "bad sounds can be made into good sounds". That takes time, patience, and practice, making sure to maintain the embouchure that one uses for the good sounding note.

Follow Ups: