Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Where can I get parts for this?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on February 15, 2004 at 20:29:36:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Where can I get parts for this? posted by on February 13, 2004 at 23:18:12:

I went Saturday to buy the parts to redo my linkages, and I had a chance to inspect those Super Links up close. They look really nice. I might have been tempted had they had eight of them, but in the end I went with the tried-and-true DuBro EZ-Adjust links for about 1/5 the price. The Super Links were ten bucks a pop, versus about $1.65 for the DuBro links.

I tighten the links against the brass tubing and have never had a buzz. The plastic is soft enough to allow overtightening to align the link.

The Super Links come with a jam nut that to me would reduce their prettiness. One could start with stainless rod and cut threads into it, or with solid brass or nickel bar stock and turn down a section for threading, but you'd still have to use the jam nut or lock the threads with thread adhesive. I think the brass tube would work just as well, and look fine. A small clear plastic washer would provide a soft enough surface between the end of the brass tube and the link to allow you to overtighten enough to adjust the position of the link. You'd need that washer no matter what, or Loctite, unless you were prepared to do some truly precise machining.

I would not attempt to tighten the rod tightly into the link's threaded hole--it could split or distort the link casing. It should be tightened against the shoulder of the link, not at the bottom of the threads, it seems to me.

Also, the Super Links have to be put so that the ball race faces the stop arm. Otherwise, the outer race can snap off the inner race. The screw head is not big enough to restrain it. The screw for the Super Link is much smaller than the 4-40 bolt on the Du-Bro link--it's possibly even smaller than 2-56. But it looked like it would be strong enough.

Rick "who will take lots of pictures of the installation and put up a web page" Denney

Follow Ups: