"Lost in La Mancha" soundtrack tuba player?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Philip Jensen on February 16, 2004 at 11:57:28:

Hi All,

This weekend I watched the documentary "Lost in La Mancha" about the collapse of director Terry Gilliam’s attempt at a production of "The Man of La Mancha". I was pleasantly surprised by a whole lot of tuba in the soundtrack! The playing is fantastic! Any clues out there as to who it was? They didn’t list the musicians in the credits. I was very impressed with the clear, powerful sound the player had. I mean really clean, clear ……… wow.

The composer was Miriam Cutler (www.miriamcutler.com). I checked out her web site this morning and listened to a bunch of sound clips. I really enjoyed the music, beyond the tuba. Lo and behold, I find out from her website, that she is a former member of one of my all time favorite bands Oingo Boingo (Danny Elfmann the band’s leader is of course well known for his soundtracks)

Definitely listen to the tuba in the clips from La Mancha (on the Scores page). In my perusings it seems to me that she seems to regard the tuba rather favorably, using it in many places where you would often find a string bass these days. I’m thinking about asking her if the parts are available for some of her compositions. I bet she’d due a good job if commissioned to do a tuba piece (or tuba(s) and euph(s)). Based on the clips I heard it would likely be a gas to play.

Philip "playing a Oingo Boingo CD right now" Jensen

Follow Ups: