Re: Schools to study tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe Baker on February 18, 2004 at 16:04:23:

In Reply to: Schools to study tuba posted by Tuba Dad on February 18, 2004 at 15:16:40:

not planning on majoring in music

I'll not dip my toe into the breast-beating that is sure to ensue over 'best tuba school', but I will suggest that the best tuba schools would not necessarily be the best for a non-major. He would almost certainly be relegated to the teaching assistant at most big-name schools. Of course, he would likely still get all the instruction he'll have time to integrate into his playing. But he'll probably never get into the premium ensembles in such a school.

I'd suggest looking at his major (or likely major, if he hasn't decided). What are the top five choices for that major? Contact the music schools at those five, and ask pointedly whether they are able to welcome non-majors as full participants. Attend a concert or two and take a lesson from the tuba teacher there.

One other thing to consider: his tuba instruction doesn't necessarily have to come through the school he attends. It might be cheaper if it's a state school, but it's not the only way.

To hazard a guess about one thing: if you are in Tennessee, there are three VERY fine tuba schools in state: UT Knoxville, Tennessee Tech, and -- is it Memphis State? School in Memphis featuring the very excellent teacher Charles Schulz. I took lessons from him one semester at UNT -- when he was the teaching assistant and I was a non-tuba major!

Joe Baker, who is only telling what he would do in the situation.

Follow Ups: