Re: Schools to study tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by sri on February 19, 2004 at 10:56:10:

In Reply to: Schools to study tuba posted by Tuba Dad on February 18, 2004 at 15:16:40:

Hi. I'm a student who's in the similiar situation as your son. I played in New Jersey All-State for two years, as well as playing in MENC all-eastern. However, I'm not a music major now. I'm at Rutgers University, and it is a little tough, having to compete with grad students and performence majors
Here's my advice-- if your son wants a lot of performence oppurtunities without being a major, do not go to a school with a major school of music. There are many decent musical groups that are mostly non-majors. They aren't quite as good as schools who have their ensembles filled with performence majors, but nevertheless, are worth playing in. If your son wants to be around phenomenal musicians and try to push themselves to play with such students, but at the same time, risk not having as much playing oppurtunity, then go to a little bigger college, with a seperate music school-- i'm actually glad about my decision. Although I don't play nearly as much as I did in high school, I get great oppurtunities to listen to phenomenal musicians all the time.

Follow Ups: