Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: You HAVE to hear this

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Wade (blah, blah...) on February 20, 2004 at 21:17:18:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: You HAVE to hear this posted by Rick Denney on February 20, 2004 at 12:26:44:

I never complained about my software not working, Rick.

I said that I needed to download a plug-in and wanted to know what the content type was. (The content on that site does not identify itself.)

Prior to switching to a Macintosh, my IBM PC was horribly unreliable with the applications I was using (all MS at that time). I switched a long time ago and have almost never had anything wrong with my hardware, and only EVER have had problems with the lame Mac ports of MS applications. MS insists on installing items in the System Folder that do not need to be there. They can just as easily reside in the application's folder, where a crash will bring about a Quit event instead of causing a reboot. MS is the only BIG Mac writer that needs to add hundreds of megs to the operating system in order to get a dang word processor to work, and then it still crashes with annoying regularity. In fact, Word is the ONLY wp app that does this (other than creating a cache folder). And it is always riddled with security holes and easily damaged by macro viruses.

Windows is just buggy, bloated, spyware-riddled software from a corporation that I choose not to give another cent to in this life. (Rick, when I was still using OS 8.6 my Mac crashed more than I could stand - at least five times each week. But when I tossed out all of the MS stuff - especially MSIE and Word - I had only one crash in the next six months.) MS writes poorly for the Mac platform and does not do a very good job of supporting customer's that use their Mac products. The only good product produced recently for the Mac by MS is Office v 10. And it is spectacular. It is not bug-ridden. It does not crash. The interface is really nice. In fact, Word X is almost identical to Word 5.1a from 1994. And that was the last really worth-the-price-out-of-the-box Mac app produced by MS.

Now that I have migrated over to OS X for good, I have only had one (1) system crash in six months. And while I was still using OS 9 and X together the older OS also never crashed.

I never complained that my software was not working. My only real worry right now is a hardware-related issue and the related recall (first one of any note since the PB 5300 flaming batteries back in 1995 - heh, heh, heh . . . not a single one ever made it into the hands of a customer, but the idea is still funny).

Apple has always cost a lot. But in return you always got a good computer that would last for up to three times the life-span of most PCs. In order to lower costs, Apple has had to use cheaper, standard PC components. So now they wear out faster. I am really disappointed by this. But that is business.

I am only responding to your joke about my 'need' to purchase a new computer, which is a PC user's solution (heh, heh). I am not a so-called Mac Fanatic. But I do like it when my computer can run for months on end without a single crash (PCs have always been crashy with Windows, even though this has been less of a problem with XP), I love really slick design and engineering that go beyond the merely functional, and I am fully aware of Apple being just as predatory as Microsoft at times.

I just love MY Mac and think that MicroSoft produces crapware that needs constant security patches and updates. To me, it is not worth the hassle to use a Windows-driven machine. I am not well-versed enough in computers to want to have to cope with Linux. And my Macs have always done EVERYTHING that I wanted right out of the box. I have never purchased a single card or peripheral device except for backup storage. All of my software has worked wonderfully, with the exception of anything by MS. So why mess with it? I am MS-free; and that is not some sort of political statement. I am just really happy that everything works so much better now that my MS stuff is trashed. Woo-hoo! Boo, MS!! Booooo, bill Gates!

Ciao!

Wade "wondering if my crash-prone, bug-ridden brain might have some old MS code in the stem since I am so stupid at times . . . " Rackley

;^)

Follow Ups: