Re: Re: Re: Opinions On Yamaha 621 CC

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by AW on February 20, 2004 at 21:41:51:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Opinions On Yamaha 621 CC posted by David Nondahl on February 20, 2004 at 14:44:11:

Hi David,

I normally play a 5-valve CC tuba. On the Yamaha, there were three notes I missed having the fifth valve on: Db/C# (235) below the staff, and the Gb/F# (235) and F (45) below that. The fifth valve is also useful for notes going down to pedal C, and for solving some fingering problems, such as trills or some rapid slurs. For example I had to play an extended D to Eb trill (below the staff). The regular fingerings for those two notes (4 and 23) didn't work for the trill; it's too much tubing to shunt in and out of the air stream. Solution: I used 15 (with a pull of the first valve slide) for Eb, and added valve 2 for D. I'm sure others could chime in about how having more valves gives the performer more fingering choices for notes.

Of course, really good players can sound great on any equipment; the only reason they get good stuff is to make the job easier. Myself, I'll take all the help I can get.

Allen

Follow Ups: