Re: Importance of learning scales

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Professional Tubist on February 21, 2004 at 06:45:10:

In Reply to: Importance of learning scales posted by Rob McGray on February 20, 2004 at 23:16:37:

Hello Rob,
Frustrated? Think about this....... I have been a professional tubist and have held a fulltime orchestra position for 12 years and I have a MM degree from one of the most important music schools in the world. One of the things that I realize that I didn't do enough of when I was younger was to PLAY SCALES! I was VERY fortunate to have studied with some GREAT teachers and it was an oversight on their part to not make me perfect my scales. EVERYTHING we play in western music whether in a band, orchestra, chamber music or solo, whether it's classical, jazz or pop music, is based upon and around scales. It sounds that you have a prepared band director. I do hope however, that there is some variation in the scales with articulation, tempi and dynamics which is also VERY important. Also, please help your parents realize that some of the greatest musicians and teachers in the world don't even have a college degree so your director's ability and intelligence should not be based upon his official academic achievements. NEVER underestimate the vital importance of playing scales and ALL of the basics everyday on an intrument. GOOD LUCK!

Follow Ups: