Re: Importance of learning scales

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Band Director Greg on February 21, 2004 at 09:02:17:

In Reply to: Importance of learning scales posted by Rob McGray on February 20, 2004 at 23:16:37:

Wow! You must have a fairly good band then. The clarinets will probably get their parts learned as they become more proficient at the scales. The ability to play in all twelve keys is pretty important.

I spend at least 10 minutes every day playing scales with my band students (7th & 8th grade band). The reason I do this is to improve their playing and listening skills. When rehearsed effectively, (or even close) scales train us to recognize patterns in music. They also sharpin your listening and intonation. On top of all that....they help you learn to play in every key so you can sight read new music.

What is more important....learing one difficult piece? Or learning to play music effectively? Scales will help your entire band improve on all of the above.

Good luck and thank your band director for making you play the things that will improve your playing overall.

Greg Allen
mean band director who makes his kids play scale studies AND rhythm studies EVERY DAY

also a tuba player....
www.stlbb.org

Follow Ups: