Re: Marine fleet band

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ken on February 23, 2004 at 19:18:01:

In Reply to: Marine fleet band posted by contemplating on February 21, 2004 at 22:36:47:

Okay...enough of the "I understand" and "I think". I am prior USMC and although I wasn't a musician in the Corps, I think I can shed a little light.

1. "The" Marine Band (AKA: The President's Own) is based in DC and is the only way a person can become an enlisted (paygrade E1-E9) marine without going to "Boot Camp.

2. All other Marine musicians are just like Marines in other occupational sepecialties. The only thing different is that you have to audition before being considered. If that goes okay you would then enlist for a certain amount of time. You have to pass the same physical as everyone else and get the ASVAB test scores high enough to qualify for the occupation you want.

3. Next, you would attend "Boot Camp" at either Paris Island, S.C. or San Diego, Ca. depending on where you enlist at. Bootcamp wil involve no music instruction...you won't have time anyway. You'll be learning to be a Marine in the traditional sense of the word. You have to pass the "PT" test (3 mile run, pull-ups and sit-ups), your esential subjects test (which covers drill & cerimony, uniform regs, Nuclear, biological and chemical warfare [NBC], Marine Corps History and Traditions, land navigation and map reading, weapons, fisrt aid and a dozen other things I can think of right now. You also have to qualify with your rifle (M16A2) to graduate. This is not a difficult thing to do because your instructors are some of the best in the world.

4. Assuming you make through, your next stop is advanced infantry training. This will consist of a lot of the same things you had in Boot Camp but with more intensity and detail.

5. Then comes music school.

Now, to clear up a few things. The Marine Corps can (and will) guarantee an occupational specialty. However, this is based on a) your test scores, and b) the needs of the Corps at the time of your enlistment. Keep in mind though, it is true that if you wash out of your guaranteed school, they don't just let you go home. If that happens, you would end up being placed where ever the Corps needs (or wants) you. That being said, I don't see you not being able to handle your school if you pass the audition. If your recruiter says he can guarantee your occupation, he's actually only guaranteeing you school.

Also, if you're being promised something, GET IT IN WRITING!!! and don't let them pressure you into anything without seeing it IN WRITING!!! Remember, until you raise your right hand and swear to uphold the constituiton, etc, etc., you're the one in charge. Afterwards, give your heart to God 'cause your butt belongs to The Corps!!

After your school, you still have to pass your PT test, your esential subjects test and rifle qualification at least once a year.

No, no one is going to promise you (not legally anyway) that you'll never be in a combat situation. If the situation warrants you'll be expaected to throw down the horn and grab a rifle just everyone else.

All branches of the military are paid the same (according to rank and time in service) so don't let that be a factor in your decision.

Any further questions feel free to Email me direct at hutsonhk(AT)flcjn.net.

Just remember, the USMC is an organization one joins to become, first and formost, a Marine. Being a musician, a military policeman or whatever will always be secondary. That being said, being a Marine musician sure would look good on a resume'.

Follow Ups: