Playing on the NEW Miraphone 1291 CC

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Bob Joles on February 24, 2004 at 10:12:41:

Last night (Feb. 23) Alan Baer gave a master class at USC. Six tuba students of Tommy Johnson and Jim Self sat in the "jump seat" next to Alan and did their choosen excerpt. Very good playing by all of the students with great comments, suggestions and playing (on the 1291 CC or his 6V Miraphone 181 F) from Alan.

Q&A followed and then the offer to "try out" both of his horns came. I dug out my MP in its bag from my coat pocket and waited my turn at the 1291. I currently play a Miraphone 1290 CC and have been very happy with the horn… until last night!

The 1291 speaks so easily it's almost unbelievable. The low register responds faster then ANY horn I've ever played in my 26 years of playing the tuba. The upper register sings with a beautiful clear tone. GREAT intonation throughout the horn. The valves have large buttons and they're as smooth as glass.

Alan was asked what he thinks of the 1291 and he said: "it's like a 188 on steroids!" He said that the horn he has is the prototype but the production line horns are even better. I wanted to run out of the building with his 1291 under my arm. Alan says that the 1291 is bucking the trend of BAT's. He feels that it delivers enough "beef" for him and the NY Phil. I think he and Miraphone are really on to something here.

BTW, if you're able to attend his recital tonight (Feb. 24) at 8 p.m. on the UCLA campus in Popper Hall by all means go! He will be playing both horns tonight. He'll be playing Barat's Introduction and Dance (the 181), Hindemith Sonata (on the 1291) and several other pieces that I wish I could come and listen to Alan play, but duty calls.

Cheers,
Bob

Follow Ups: