Re: 5th valve on BBb. Good Idea?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by mjg on February 24, 2004 at 17:35:48:

In Reply to: 5th valve on BBb. Good Idea? posted by Bee F Latta on February 24, 2004 at 13:07:10:

This is something I have been mulling over myself. I have a big BBb that will get a new cluster sometime in the future as finances allow.

Theere are some advantages not noted. Low E and B natural have not worked with the same fingerings for me historically. B natural requires "more pipe" than low E. Same for low F# and C# for CC tuba. Because of this B natural should work best with 5-2-3 while retaining low E still being 2-4. Granted that is only for extended lengths of time for holding the note. I think "bloke" was hinting at this.

If you think you may ever play in a brass band having low C, low B natural and a good, good Eb is almost a necessity. I have a 3+1 comp that does fine for this, but if you are going to haul a non-comp into a rehearsal then 5 valves do help if you don't want to be using false tones or you don't have access to a instrument with great false tones.

If you are going to have this done, contact someone with real, reputable skills. They will be able to make this look stock. Pay a little more to have a good job done.

Unfortunately, I think a 5th valve to a BBb would be like adding a Hot Tub to your house. Looks cool, but doesn't add much if any resale value. Therefore the value is intrinsic and depends on if it is something you are going to commit yourself to using to make it worth your investment.

Follow Ups: