Re: Shipping on Amtrack

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Neil on February 25, 2004 at 10:17:12:

In Reply to: Shipping on Amtrack posted by Chris Blaha on February 24, 2004 at 20:07:11:

I was recently on the receiving end of a horn being shipped by Amtrak from LA to Buffalo. The horn arrived roughly when it was scheduled (within a day.....lots of snow) and completely unharmed. I would certainly call this a successful venture, especially given that it cost a mere 60USD.

However,

1. It was my experience that is was very hard to get a hold of an amtrak rep on the phone who was willing to help me (get train info, find out if package has arrived) and not just give me another phone number to call.

2. You cannot track a package on amtrak. The waybill # they give you is only for collection purposes at the destination. For example, my tuba, on its trek to buffalo had to change trains in Chicago. The most accurate information on its whereabouts I could get was some thing to the effect of: "IF indeed it did go on train X from LA, then that train has arrived in Chicago. It SHOULD then have been switched from train x to train y, which is running late. "

Not exactly stress free. But, it came in good time, unharmed, for cheap.

Best of luck shipping your instrument.

Neil

Follow Ups: