Re: Marine fleet band

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by What you can expect. on February 26, 2004 at 06:22:35:

In Reply to: Marine fleet band posted by contemplating on February 21, 2004 at 22:36:47:

What you can expect when you join the Marine Corps as a Musician in a Fleet Band:

When you get into boot camp, invest in the Montgomery G.I. Bill as well as the "Kicker" for a total investment of 1800 bucks you can get 36 payments of over 1000 bucks a month to help you while you're in college.

Marine Combat Training: it's a tough 2+ weeks (it qwas 2.5 when I did it) you get to live the life of a grunt for two weeks. not showering for a week or so, and having to hump (marching from place to place over a long distance) You get to fire heavy weapons. 50 cal mashine guns, as well as SAW's and Automatic Grenade Launchers...

School of Music is nick named the "School of Matrimony" A bunch of geeky musicians together usually for the first time they're on their own. Lots of temptations to do stupid stuff, but be strong and don't get married, or knock up any girls while you're there. Mandatory practice hours, you must practice 20-30 (Not a bad ammount at all) hours a week, in the school (at home hours don't count) The musical curriculum is in dire need of a revamp. It's based on a 1970's method of teaching instead of using the usual solfeggio (Do-Re-MI etc.) you sing One Two Three. Theory is basic consisting of analysis of major and minor keys as well as some chord structure. They grind it into your head through repetition. Remember if you get frustrated with the curriculum, some people may not have the same exposure to theory that you have.

Remember this is also an introduction to the military in a non-boot camp enviornment.

First, off if it is still available I would insist on the Marine Corps College Fund (Not just being able to sign up for the G.I. Bill.) the difference is 10-20k for college.

Second, you can expect to do alot of stuff not related to being a musician. Guard duty at work (Imagine being at work all day and then having to sleep there). Being deployed is always a possibility especially during a time of war. You will have to shoot a rifle at least once a year as well as under go intense physical Martial Arts Training. You will have to memorize any where from 20-30 songs, but only play about 5 of them regularly. (But they ALL have to be memorized no questions). You may have to live 3 people to a 12 by 12 room. You are expected to have stellar uniforms. Being that you are exposed to high ranking civilians and officers. You must surpass average standards of acceptance for uniform appearance. meaning you will spend lots of hours shining and prepping your uniforms for a performance, as well as every day wear. The new camoflage are a god send. No ironing, and no spit shining the boots. This alone saves probably 10-20 hours a week in time prepping them depending on what band you are assigned to.

What you can expect from different Duty Stations:

MCRD San Diego or Perris Island: Lots and lots of graduations. Very steady schedule. Every wednesday, thursday, and friday you can 90% of time time already know what your schedule will be. Exceptional opportunities to go to college and finish education. Low probability of deployment, but lots of use of camoflageutilities for ceremonial use.

MCBH Kaneohe Bay Hawaii: Lots of traveling around the beautiful island of OAHU. Occasional travel between the islands. Not sure about this year but 2002 and 2003 we went to new Orleans for mardi gras. Rose bowl parade can't hold a candle to the distance of the Zulu Parade not to mention the 5-7 other parades you will have to march.
If you go Don't miss the last ferry from the french quarter back to the other side of the river. It's a long walk or a 40 dollar cab ride back to base. Most definitely go see the world war 2 museum they have their. Don't ever stop for anyone droppping anything on your shoes, or saying they'll bet you 20 dollars they know where you got your shoes. (You got them on your feet)

If you're under 21 and you drink and get caught you can be demoted and have money taken away from you for a couple of months, as well as be restricted to your room for a month or two

Okinawa: You can expect to either be away from the mainland for a long long time 1-3 yrs. Good probability of deployment as well as getting a "Sea Service" ribbon although i'm not exactly sure of what for. It's a semi tropical island lot's of good scuba diving. The joke is you either become religous or an alcoholic on this island.

Camp Pendleton or Camp Lejeune: Probablly the two hardest working bands in the Fleet Marines. Lots of march playing, probability for deployment is very likely, even on exercises.

Quantico: Lots of concert music, some times fills in for the D.C. Marine Band. Not too much known about it otherwise.

Remember most importantly if you join the Marines, you are first and foremost a (very) basically trained rifleman. That means when the the $h!t hits the fan and they neeed some one with a rifle you can be called to do your duty, I.e. doing guard duty with large caliber machine guns, guarding bases in iraq and kuwait so the grunts can come back and have a safe place to sleep. If you haev any questions, i'll be glad to answer in what I feel is an objective view. I was recently discharged honorably, after 4.5 yrs of service i've been in two bands, and been stationed in 3 places.

As far as your job, audition for the band BEFORE you leave for boot camp. Don't leave for bootcamp before you're ready...I.e. If they say sure you can go to boot camp in august but in april they call you and say hey you HAVE to go now....tell 'em to go stick it where the sun don't shine. They won't lie to you but they most certainly will bend the truth.

Follow Ups: