Re: Re: Re: Re: Silver Plate Weight

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by still aint buyn it! on February 26, 2004 at 22:51:59:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Silver Plate Weight posted by Au contraire on February 26, 2004 at 10:21:46:

No offense to Mr. Schilke but....

HOG WASH!

Using the most accurate industrial grade digital micromiter I own (measures to .00005) on test pieces of flat sheet stock and liberally applying the lacquer (on both sides) myself. Four coats only added .0015 thickness on one side. After allowing it to fully cure between applications, I have found the lacquer to be not even close to .007 inches thick as noted by the previous post. The idea that you can get it that thick, even with four coats is simply not the reality. Half that much would run like mad and look like crap and that is not good if you plan on selling the instrument to the public. Unless there was some magic way of applying it so thick that I don't know about after twenty years, there is a serious flaw in the evaluation posted. In addition to the dimensions given, I must respectfully question the validity of these so called experiments. Knowing a good deal myself of what is involved with finish preparation on band instruments, I doubt that the lacquer is what changed the way these instruments performed. The trumpets, after having been tested would have had to go back to the shop to be disassembled, cleaned and polished prior to lacquer or plate and would have been reassembled before testing again. I would also be interested in knowing what the room temp. was at the time they were tested? Who tested? Did any parts get damaged during the polishing stage? (it does happen, damed butter fingers) and more. There are to many subjective parts to this test and to many variables to say "the lacquer did it". Also, I have worked with baked on lacquers and they are not even close to the hardness of glass. When did you ever hear a dented instrument make a glass-like shattering sound at the time of the mishap? I like silver plate on some instruments and lacquer on others because of how it makes them look. I never perform a type of finish because of some farfetched idea of how it will alter the sound, I am not that smart.

So far my first hand experience is telling me that some ones information is more theory then fact.

I really want to understand these views but so far all I see is a lot of smoke and no fire.

Respectfully,

Daniel C. Oberloh
Oberloh Woodwind and Brass Works
www.oberloh.com

Follow Ups: