Re: Tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joel on February 28, 2004 at 08:22:20:

In Reply to: Tuba posted by Super Triumphonic on February 28, 2004 at 00:12:14:

Dennis,

The Salvation Army actually did manufacture their own brass instruments from about 1889-1950. Still, I doubt that they were tooled up to do all models in the early years. Also, I understand that Boosey & Hawkes helped them to set up their factory and likely provided some of the models for re-labeling in early years. I imagine that Salvationist Publishing and Supplies started with cornets and expanded into low brass as they grew skills. That said, I have a reference book (New Langwill Index)that says the Judd St. address was in use only until 1901. The reference also states that this factory started with a staff of 13 and by 1905 had grown to 60.

I play Eb bass with the Salvation Army's "Baltimore Brass" and may be able to help determine parts compatibility with newer instruments. The last I knew we had an old 3-valve Triumphonic in the store room. If so, I could at least see what from my modern Besson would fit. At best, this would likely be limited to slide tubing, valve caps, finger buttons, etc.

Please post the details of what parts you need or feel free to write to me off the list (jbristor(AT)comcast.net).

Joel

Follow Ups: