Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Arban Tuba Book

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mark Heter on February 28, 2004 at 23:26:03:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Arban Tuba Book posted by Leland on February 27, 2004 at 22:19:28:

You're better of with the Arban book for trombone (Fischer) AND the Fischer cornet Arban book.

The trombone book isn't "hard to read" - you panty waists - PLUS, by learning to read 8va basso, you'll have no problem with string bass parts, which are published 8va higher than they sound. It makes covering bassoon parts easier. The cornet book has more stuff in it, and by learning the cornet clef, you can read bass sax parts, bass clarinet parts, and all those British Brass Band editions (Eb and BBb both) with no sweat. Plus, these days many of us are doubling in brass - tuba, bass trombone & euphonium - why spend for different books withe same notes in them?

Years ago, I kept myself working in the winters by covering 5th Reed books (bari sax, bass sax, bass clarinet, bassoon) on theatrical shows (with some bass parts pasted in to boot) on the tuba. I learned the other clefs, and so should you - you never know when it will help you out.

PLUS - you can wade into the Herbert L. Clarke books and solos, which will do ANY brass player some good.

Be able to read anything they put in front of you on anything you own - in any key they want. Be a real musician; don't be a wuss.

It never ocurred to me that the Arban method needed to be transposed into "tuba clef" for me to learn the technic.

Follow Ups: