Re: Re: U.K. Bound

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Actually on February 29, 2004 at 19:38:23:

In Reply to: Re: U.K. Bound posted by Karl on February 29, 2004 at 18:12:54:

All the bands you list (except Cory) are based more North East around Yorkshire. Compared to the US though the relative distances are minute of course - like 100 miles!!

Karl is right though, it's WELL worth hearing the UK's finest bands and I'd be sure to take a day or two out of your schedule to incorporate a listen. There ARE some decent Southern bands but they're a mile off the quality of the best Northern bands (certainly in a traditional banding sense).

All the bands Karl lists are great but I'd add my personal favourites, the Yorkshire Building Society (YBS) Band under Dr David King for some seriously creative programming and exciting playing. Fodens are also a stunning band.

If you are a Euph player you'd do well to hear Dyke's David Thornton who is simply incredible. Dyke and YBS also have a great Tuba section, as do Grimethorpe in particular with Shaun Crowther leading. In fairness all these band have great players throughout and almost certainly wont disappoint : )

It's also worth noting that the bands mentioned so-far are all at the top of their game and stand head and shoulders above their peers (IMHO). Sorry if I've left any other bands of this quality off.

Enjoy yourself!

Follow Ups: