Re: Re: Re: Thoughts on raw brass

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tracy B. on February 29, 2004 at 21:20:37:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Thoughts on raw brass posted by Why? on February 29, 2004 at 19:49:11:

No offence taken. Here's why I would not have a tuba rebuffed and relacquered. First, I consider it wasteful and pointless. The only reason for me to do so would be for cosmetic reasons. How the finish of a tuba looks does not affect the playibility of it. As for the longevity, you can take care of unlacquered horn easily, but I will agree that it does take more maintenence than one with lacquer.
My other reason is that to have the horn buffed would remove metal from the tuba. This would most certainly affect the sound and durability of the instrument. I feel this is too big a sacrifice to have a pretty tuba again. As others pointed out, spot lacquering doesn't quite always turn out right. I suppose you can strip lacquer from tuba chemically and then reapply more. Again, the only reason would be for appearance and ease of maintanence.
I would speculate that too much lacquer would dampen some vibrations across the surface area of a tuba. I'm certainly no expert in instrument repair, so you may take or leave my statements. However, I would love to hear from someone who is and see what he/she thinks on the subject.
As for the 186's, I am well aware, as are most of us, that no to tubas are alike. However, Miraphones are some of the most consistent tubas in this regard. I tried to take that into account when I made my observations. As I said in my original post, this is only my opinion. I tried to make a well informed one, but its an opinion nonetheless. Remember, I said I only noticed it was "very slightly darker" in comparison. Whether this is good or bad is completely up to the listener. I don't care either way and this isn't a biased opinion. I don't even own a 186 and the CC tuba I do have is silver plated.
Finally, I am aware that some feel it is unprofessional to own a unlacquered or otherwise ugly tuba. I can't speak to that, but it certainly doesn't get in the way of the sound. Just my opinion what little it is worth.
Tracy Bedgood

Follow Ups: