Re: St Petersburg and plating

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Gary Swart on March 02, 2004 at 02:50:03:

In Reply to: St Petersburg and plating posted by Jim on February 29, 2004 at 23:44:13:

I've had my St Pete since 1997, and although it plays well for me, there are some things that you should know about them before you buy one. One serious weakness is that the valves are crap. I fought mine off and on for 6 years until I had Dan Oberloh rebuild them last fall. He isn't cheap, but damn, he's good! The horn was virtually unplayable when I took it to him, so essentially it was either pay to repair it or buy a new horn. Dan, the valves are still working perfectly, thanks again. The plating is showing wear, but to me that seems normal considering the use I give it. Dan's post on the plating tells it all. The thin metal is a knock some guy give it, but I keep mine in a hard case and take care of it, so a couple of minor dings is all I have. I'd never recommend this tuba for a kid. In truth, with 20/20 hindsight, I'd have been better off to by a Mirafone or VMI, I would have spent more money up front, but less money in the repairs. Oh yeah, I got my St Pete out of Germany before you had to go through the exclusive franchise dealer in the US.

Follow Ups: