Need Advice on Shipping a 3/4 Size Tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Max Mearse on January 01, 1999 at 10:46:23:

I'm considering selling my tuba so I can get a larger one, but prospective buyers are often thousands of miles away. Can anyone help me figure out how to get it to where it needs to go with as little risk to the seller, buyer, and horn as possible, and with as little expense as possible?

Here is the best I've come up with so far:

1. Pack the horn inside the case as tightly as possible using bubble wrap, etc.

2. Pack the case and horn inside a gigantic cardboard box with lots of padding.

Question A: When my current horn originally arrived via Fed Ex from Charlie at Brasswind, there was about 6 inches of solid foam padding surrounding the entire (hard case inside the box. It was great. It had been a thick liquid which had assumed the shape of the case when it dried. But, of course, I disposed of the box. Duuhh. Is this technology readily available for pack it yourselfers?

Question B: And where can I get a box that big - UPS doesn't sell them? U-Haul?

3. Ship COD to the buyer, ensuring it "big time", and the buyer uses a credit card to pay UPS, Fed Ex, etc., at the other end. Hopefully after being allowed to inspect the contents of the box, so the buyer knows I didn't just ship a box of rocks or something. This way, the buyer gets the horn and the seller gets paid - both of us are protected.

Any suggestions and details from those of you with more experience would be most appreciated.

Thanks!

Follow Ups: