Re: Cerveny tubas - how good are they?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Roger Lewis on January 05, 1999 at 10:41:03:

In Reply to: Cerveny tubas - how good are they? posted by Rookie on January 04, 1999 at 12:40:48:

I own a Cerveny piggy and I find it to be an amazing instrument. I now use it mainly for quintet and solo work but I have used it in orchestral playing for quite some time also. In fact I won the Tanglewood auditions on mine a few years back. It has a very colorful sound and clear response through all five octaves and a very powerful low register. I have been offered a lot of money for mine but wouldn't give it up for anything. I've used min with the Boston Pops under John Williams and under Leonard Bernstein with no problems.

There was an article by Roger Bobo in the Instrumentalist where he stated that the Cerveny's (in his opinion) had one of the richest sound qualities available. This was while he was a Miraphone representative.

As others have already said - a horn depends on what you think of it and how it works for you - not on the brand name. My one caution is that you should buy the absolute best instrument you can. You will be competing with guys who have some incredible equipment and you will need to be able to match that. The Cerveny is a great horn, but you can only push it so far - then it's like trying to push a chain. That's when I bought my Yorkbrunner.

Good luck.
Roger Lewis

Follow Ups: