Re: Cerveny tubas - how good are they?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on January 05, 1999 at 10:44:14:

In Reply to: Cerveny tubas - how good are they? posted by Rookie on January 04, 1999 at 12:40:48:

These are all great comments and, in my opinion, right on the money. You've got guys saying the Cervany does have warmth and character, some saying it doesn't. Translation: the tuba reacts differently in different player's hands. Also, perception comes into play. The bottom line is that you need to try these instruments for yourself. And not just the ones mentioned here, try as many as you can. I bet a good working definition of hell would be that you plunked down your life savings on a tuba and then discovered after the purchase that there was a better instrument out there that you could have had. For what it is worth, here is my 2 cents.

I own a Cervany ACB-601. I also own a Rudy Meinl RM-10(CC) and 2 EEb tubas (Willson and Cervany). The Rudy is my main instrument. I use it 75% of the time. I use the Cervany for REALLY big works. We're doing Prokofiev 5 in a couple of months and I'll use it then. But mostly, I enjoy the Cervany at home because it is a specialty instrument for me (I got it instead of a Yorkbrunner or Meinl-Weston 2165). The Cervany is a fine instrument, well constructed and a great value for the money. They also have problems, like any instrument manufacturer. On my particular instrument, the valve ports were smaller than the surrounding tubing. Also, when I bought mine, the ACB-601 only came with 4 valves so I had to add the 5th. Still, with the custom work added to the purchase price, I saved over $10000 compared to the purchase prices of the other instruments I was looking at. And I would rate the quality and playing characteristics of my finished Cervany as at least equal to that of any similar instrument out there, including the tubas mentioned above.

So, my recommendation would be to try the Cervany models and see if you find one you like. Also, I would ask around and see who else is using them (or any other instrument you might consider) and try to talk to those individuals to get advice on what kinds of things to expect from an instrument. I got the information for the Cervany modifications I did from Don Harry. I think the best tuba purchase is a well informed one. My opinion, for what it's worth...

Follow Ups: