Re: Steve Syeward

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Sean Chisham on January 06, 1999 at 09:42:02:

In Reply to: Steve Syeward posted by Johnny on January 06, 1999 at 03:50:15:

Now there is a name I have not heard in a long time. I grew up near Kansas City, Missouri and, for a time, attended Richmond High School in Richmond, Missouri. The Richmond High School Band had a strong heritage from the 70's as one of the nations premiere high school music programs. I would go to the local public library and listen to records of them from that era and have to say they could hold their own with most college music programs. The ensemble was always very well balanced and extremely well rehearsed. When I was there, several years later, the show was being run by Eric Pointer, who had been a trumpeter in the Richmond machine in it's hayday. He is still regarded by me as the man who set the original standard of excellence in my own achievements in life, music, and all else. I believe Steve Seward was the third person I ever had a lesson with, due to his connections with Eric Pointer. My first lesson was with a student of Charles McAdams and the second was Charles McAdams himself.

The leader of Richmond's band during the 70's was Steven Seward's father. The gentleman's first name escapes me now, but he is an icon in that town. Steven Seward grew up with a hard act to follow. After graduating high school he attended the University of Michigan, where I believe he studied with Abe Torchinsky. After leaving Michigan I loose some of his biographical info to my own lapse in knowledge, but I do understand he made a short stint in Los Angelas attempting to break into the freelance world. That didn't work out as planned but he did land the job in the Kansas City Symphony.

I do understand he does live and breathe that old Rudy Meinl 5/4 he owns. When I had my lesson with him, ages ago it seems, I remember that horn seeming so daunting. Steve Sewards is a bit of a rough looking guy himself. No disrespect intended, but he is not a dainty man.

I have seen his newest recording venture, but have not had an opportunity to actually listen to it. I do, however, have a cassette tape of his very first solo album. On it he plays one of his favorite pieces, the Bozza. The Bozza was originally written for solo tuba and piano. For those who have attended a few conferences may have realized that there seems to also be an arrangement for solo tuba and band. Where did this come from? Well, it was arranged by Nancy Seward. She is Steven Seward's mother. Seems the entire family was musically gifted.

Memories.....

sean

Follow Ups: