Re: Re: Alexander opportunity

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by David Zerkel on January 07, 1999 at 17:38:54:

In Reply to: Re: Alexander opportunity posted by Michael Sanders on January 07, 1999 at 12:28:57:

I am joining ranks with Michael as a guy who regrets having solding his Alex. I played mine through college and also won my first playing gig with the Army Field Band with that horn. I, like Michael, was a finalist for several orchestral positions with that horn, but was never the grand prize winner.

To me, that horn had a one of a kind sound. I remember when I sold it and went to NY to purchase a 4/4 Brunner...my wife said "Now you just sound like a tuba player. You never did with your Alex." I have yet to find anything close to that sound.

Sure, there were the intonation olympics, but once you learned how to play it, you were good to go. I still get a kick out of sitting next to Dave Bragunier in the National Symphony and watching him ignore his fourth valve completely and using 1&3 and 12&3 a little more regularly than I will ever care to. The key is...he makes it work. If you have the will to play in tune, it will happen!

Sold my horn to Sam Griggs and Dean "the original Alex poster" tells me that the horn is now owned by Jeff Tomberg. I miss that horn and kick myself for looking for another voice when I liked the one that I had.

The Alex will never be an "easy" instrument to play by todays manufacturing standards, but they are wonderful instruments. If anyone out there is ever interested in selling...look me up...especially you, Jeff Tomberg out there somewhere!!

Dave Zerkel
Professor of tuba and euphonium
Illinois State University

Follow Ups: