Re: MAKING AUDITION TAPES

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Sean Chisham on January 08, 1999 at 20:07:48:

In Reply to: MAKING AUDITION TAPES posted by JHR on January 08, 1999 at 16:47:20:

It ain't so.

Read Douglas Yeo's web page on auditions. He explains the taping process very well. His page is linked off of a couple of spots on TubeNet.

What I have come to like is a portable DAT and 2 reasonable quality microphones along with good mic cables. This should give you fairly low noise. If possible, borrow or buy the best mics at your disposal. They are what really make the difference, apart from the acoustics of the room itself.

With a portable DAT, you aren't locked into the schedule of a certain room. You are free to try different places. The DAT also allows you to make tracking markers during the taping so you can easily return to a certain position on the tape. Dubbing with a DAT to analog tape is also very clean as the noise level in almost non existent.

Look for a room which complements you and your recording equipment best. I tend to like medium sized recital halls for technically challenging tapes, such as military band audition tapes, as the room doesn't fog up the quick tu-tu-ku tu-tu-ku stuff. Larger halls are sometimes useful for orchestral tapes as the technical demands are generally lower and the hall assists in giving you time to breathe easier.

If you have a choice between using a piano or not I tend to like with the piano as it gives an idea of intonation and ensemble skills. On the otherhand, if you are not well rehearsed with the pianist, then it will just sound unrehearsed. Do whatever is most flattering. They are after what you have to say more than the accompanyist anyway.

Give yourself plenty of time, possibly a couple of days, to record the tape. After making recordings, wait a day or two, then listen to tape and pick the takes you liked best to mix down to analog tape. If none of the takes for a particular excerpt are working, then redo them. Take your time!!!

Once you have the tape mixed, listen to it 1 more time to ensure you did not leave anything out and that everything flows well. Make a copy of the analog for your archives. You never know if you may want to use that same tape in the near future. Plus it is interesting to listen to your progress. I still have a tape of myself made for the McDonald's All America Band from high school. It is fun to listen to in PRIVATE.

After making the tape, punch out the write protection tabs and mark it appropriatelly. Type up a brief cover letter explaining who you are and what the tape is for. Enclose a 1 page resume if requested and pack them in a bubble wrap padded envelope. Also include a list of what is on the tape if the music was of your choosing. It is frustrating to listen to a tape and have no clue what music is being performed. The post office carries them.

Send the tape off by some method which provides you with verification of arrival, such as certified mail or FedEx. If the tape doesn't arrive in a reasonable amount of time, then you were smart enough to have a quality copy to send in it's place. This is why you should not work right up to the wire. Send the tape off at least 1 week early.

Once you know the tape has arrived. Do NOT harrass the committee, unless it is 3-4 weeks past the due date and you have heard nothing. They will contact you, most likely via US mail. Be patient.

For the cost of a professional studio, you can just about buy a Pro walkman or portable DAT and a set of mics. Rigs can start anywhere from a total of $400-1500 depending on the quality of components and the technology.

sean

Follow Ups: