Re: Tuba/euphonium jazz

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Christopher Meeder on January 15, 1999 at 17:12:10:

In Reply to: Tuba/euphonium jazz posted by D. Seebaugh on January 15, 1999 at 11:45:03:

Don't know what you mean by "real" jazz, but I suggest you check out:

Henry Threadgill's Very Very Circus. Threadgill is a wonderful composer/saxophonist with a sound deeply influenced by his background in the Chicago avant-garde. A big band featuring, in lieu of piano, usually two or three guitars. And in lieu of bass, usually two or three tubas. The two albums easiest to get are "Too much Sugar for a Dime" and "Make a Move". Both are excellent, but the former might be easier to get into.

Marcus Rojas, who plays with Threadgill, also has a couple nice albums with a group called Spanish Fly.

Also, tenor great Sam Rivers had a trio with Joe Daley on tuba and some great drummer whose name I can't recall. I know he recorded this group, but I don't know how available these recordings are (I'm looking for them myself, so if anyone has any ideas, let me know!)

There's a guy in California right now named William Roper who's got some nice stuff out on small labels like Asian Improv Records. Good stuff from a very nice guy.

I suppose, for the sake of completeness, I should mention my own group, Ensemble Duchamp. Our CD, "Etant donnes" is available at a record store near you on Sachimay Records (tell the shopkeeper "it's distributed by Qualiton" so you can appear hip and knowledgeable, and he will be forced to stock it in his store :), or, directly from me. Drop me an e-mail if you like. It's not the worst record I have ever heard, although if we get this double disc half live/half studio thing out, it will be much better. . .

All of these suggestions are as likely to be considered "not jazz" by the Wynton Marsalis worshipper as it would be considered "real jazz" by those of us who are trying to continue the American tradition of constant change, so take these recommendations with the amount of salt appropriate for your tastes.

Follow Ups: