Re: Besson Eb again

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve Sykes on January 21, 1999 at 04:42:00:

In Reply to: Besson Eb again posted by Pete on January 21, 1999 at 01:01:25:

Pete, I began using a Denis Wick 2L mouthpiece on my 981 at age 11 (30 years ago). In between times I seem to have played 'em all - but I keep returning to the 2L - I really love it.
However - over the last six weeks I've been playing the prototype of the *new* 2L and I
must say that I'm very impressed. It has a slightly larger throat and quite a bit more mass (without being a 'true' heavytop).
It should be in production quite soon and is certainly worth an audition.
Another great (and vast!)range of mps is from the German maker Joseph Klier (JK) - I don't know if they are available in the US - maybe someone on this list could answer that one.
Regarding the leadpipe - I use the higher one.
As a soloist most of my playing is done while standing - with the straight pipe the 981 becomes very top heavy and (when stood)the hand position uncomfortable - I much prefer the higher pipe.
BTW Fletch did quite a bit of experimentation with leadpipes - you are quite correct in saying that he used a straight leadpipe for many years - however he reverted back to the high LP in later years.
The 981 was developed from the Boosey & Hawkes 'Sovereign' tuba (which evolved from the B&H 'Imperial' model).
For more imformation on the Denis Wick 2L (plus 981 - and pics of the 'Sovereign' prototype) visit my web site at;
www.sykotuba.dircon.co.uk

Follow Ups: