Re: Re: Tonguing

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joseph Felton on January 21, 1999 at 22:54:25:

In Reply to: Re: Tonguing posted by Doug Elliott on January 21, 1999 at 21:26:23:

I have a great deal of respect for your pedagogical ideas and I think that your equipment is wonderful. However, I take issue with your suggestion that articulating through the teeth or against the back of the lips will automatically create the symptoms described. On instruments with smaller mouthpieces there may be more of an issue but it has been my experience that articulation on tuba can actually be *improved* by tongueing against the back of the upper lip... creating a "Poe" syllable. I have my own theories as to why this may be the case and in my own playing I actually switch back and forth between the "Poe" and standard articulation fairly freely without being aware of it. Unless I tell people how I articulate they can't tell. It's simply another tool in my arsenal. Rather than go into my own theories as to why it actually makes *more* sense to teach young tubists to use a "Poe" syllable(after all.. I'm just some college kid that thinks he actualy has a clue) I'll simply point out that Daniel
Perantoni also advocates the use of the "Poe" syllable.
Thoughts? Criticisms?
Cheers!
joseph

Follow Ups: