Re: 4 valve contrabass bugle

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Leland Jordon on January 25, 1999 at 01:27:43:

In Reply to: 4 valve contrabass bugle posted by Felton on January 24, 1999 at 17:55:18:

There are, but they're rare ---
As of DCI's 1990 rule change allowing 3v bugles, contras are allowed to have 4 valves. The first 4v contras I saw were a pair of modified King K90's owned by Disney's "Future Corps" from Epcot/Orlando -- either two more valves or a whole 4-valve section were added to the originally 2-valve K90.

Kanstul displayed a prototype 4v version of their big 6/4-ish contra at Finals in 1993, but as far as I know, nobody was wanting to buy a 4v horn anyway (except for us contra players, that is!). The idea was that those low, low notes would hardly be used on the field.

Now, DEG is building 4v versions of their big "Super Magnum" contras, and they're being used by Madison Scouts and at least one other corps (either Carolina Crown or Southwind, or somebody else -- the name escapes me today). I guess that arrangers discovered that they enjoy using those low D's and G's often enough that a 4th valve is definitely worthwhile -- sure beats lipping those notes down 30 cents or so!

I haven't heard of 5 valve contras, but IMO, the 5th wouldn't be necessary. In absolute terms, lacking a 5th valve would leave out only two notes, and those notes (written pedal C# and D) aren't in bugle-friendly keys (remember that bugles are pitched in G and read treble clef like a C trumpet -- a written C sounds a concert G, and a written G sounds a concert D; so they're already playing awfully low compared to concert pitch tubas).

Interesting to note that 3-valve bugles were being manufactured by DEG since the early 80's and were used over in Europe, outside of DCI's jurisdiction.

As far as 4v contra-style BBb tubas go, it might be easiest to adapt a Yamaha YBB-321 to use the YBB-201M's marching leadpipe. However, compared to Kanstul's 5/4 tuba, or if DEG made a BBb version of their monster contra, the Yamaha wouldn't stand a chance! :)

OR, if a certain company will take up the task, we could see a BBb 3- or 4-valve version of the King K90 contra I mentioned first. THAT would be nice....

Leland

Follow Ups: